* ½ cup Urad dal (Minapa pappu)
* ½ cup Chana dal (Sanaga pappu)
* 6 dried red chillies
* 6 black pepper
* 1 teaspoon of each - cumin, coriander seeds, mustard seeds
* ½ teaspoon of salt
* ½ teaspoon of fenugreek seeds (Menthulu)
* Small piece of tamarind (optional)
Toast all of them in one teaspoon of oil or ghee separetly or together in an iron skillet, constantly mixing.
Take care not to burn them and let cool to room temperature. Powder them using a spice grinder or mixer. Store in a clean jar. Stays fresh upto 1 to 3 months.
Drizzle some melted ghee into this powder and have it with Idlis. My home state folks go crazy for this ‘Idly - kaaram podi’ combination.